Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Source of Strength -- A Message for February 7, 2021

 


Over the past few weeks, we have been reading stories from the very first chapter of the Gospel of Mark.  Jesus made his first visit to a synagogue with his disciples in Capernaum.   There, he preached, interpreted scripture, and healed a man who was possessed by a demon.  Our reading picks up right where we left off, as Jesus and his disciples left the synagogue.  Hear this reading of the word of God as it is written in the Gospel of Mark chapter 1 verses twenty-nine through thirty-nine:

Scripture Reading           Mark 1:29-39


As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew.

Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they immediately told Jesus about her.

So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.

That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed.

The whole town gathered at the door,

and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Simon and his companions went to look for him,

and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”

Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.”

So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

Here ends this reading of the Word of God for the people of God; thanks be to God. Amen.

Prayer for Understanding

O God, send your Spirit to move in us and among us. Focus our attention as we listen, so that we may absorb your Word more deeply, come to know you better, and serve you with greater purpose. Amen.

Message                                          Source of Strength

            One of the activities I have gotten more into since the start of the pandemic is swimming.  I was delighted when the YMCA reopened and I could take advantage of the swimming pool.  Every morning, I wake up at 6 so I can reserve my lap lane for the following day.  If I don’t sign up 24 hours in advance, the 6 spots available each hour will be completely booked. 

            I know it sounds weird to go swimming in the winter, but there is something almost magical about exercising in warm water.  I spent 45 minutes in a bubble – I can’t see through my foggy googles, I can’t hear anything other than the bubbles I exhale, there are no screens, no ringing phones, no text pings, no puppies or children trying to get my attention.  I am in my own little world.

            And, when I am in my own little world I have time to pray, and dream, and make plans for our church for when things get back to normal.  I am cut off from all of my normal distractions and can listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I can talk to God and I won’t be interrupted or fall asleep like I sometimes do when I pray in the evening.  I am alone and able to freely listen for God and talk to God.

            This morning, we read in today’s scripture about Jesus doing a lot of work – healing Simon’s mother-in-law, healing townspeople with illnesses, and driving out demons – Afterwards, Jesus got up early in the morning and went off to pray in a solitary place…I resonate with Jesus’ actions…I get it.  Even Jesus needed to take a break, go to a place where he would be alone and uninterrupted, and pray.

            Despite being in the midst of a pandemic, with our schedules disrupted and parts of our lives on-hold, we are still busy.  Busy, busy, busy…rush, rush, rush.  We have dishes to wash and phone calls to make and emails to answer and groceries to buy and kids to supervise and zoom calls to join and books to read and toilets to clean.  The list is endless.  We put pressure on ourselves to do, do, do.

            Ash Wednesday is in a week and a half.  It is early this year – February 17.  Unlike some of our previous Lenten seasons, I am not going to pass out a book for you to read or give you a specific assignment.  I am just going to remind you (and myself) that Jesus spent 40 days alone in the wilderness praying and listening to God.  In order to completely un-plug, Jesus got out of town.  Jesus went to a place where no one would interrupt him.  Jesus went out to the wilderness alone.

            We don’t have the option of going on a vacation or a 6 week spiritual retreat this year.  Covid-19 restrictions continue and most of us don’t have the luxury of 6 weeks off from work.  But, we can remember that even Jesus needed a breather….and therefore, it may be in our best interest to carve out some time in our days and our weeks where we can go completely off the grid.  We are so busy that we will probably have to schedule time to do this.  And, some of us live in households with people who may interrupt us.  So, over the next two months, schedule some alone-time with God.  Even if we have to lock ourselves in our bathrooms (the only room in my house with a serious lock) and sit down on the floor and pray.  Let’s work to unplug and take a break from the hustle and bustle and listen to God. And pray. And listen to God.

            Jesus healed people because he had compassion for them.  Jesus cared about the individual people he met – he cared and it worked to ease their burdens.  Jesus healed people who would never be able to do anything in return for Jesus.  They would not be able to heal him. They would not be able to help him. They would not be able to enrich him or give him anything substantial in return.  Yet, when they came to him, Jesus healed them.

            As we take time to pause, talk to God, and listen to the Holy Spirit, let us also consider ways we can show compassion to other people.  We may not have the supernatural gifts of Jesus, we probably can’t reach out our hands and immediately heal people, but we have other tools at our disposal.  Can we be more compassionate in how we interact with other people?  Can we be kinder to store clerks or delivery people?  Can we share our extras with people who don’t have enough? Can we help people who are ill?  Can we reach out to people who are older than we are?  Can we encourage people who are younger than we are? How can we be more compassionate to others?

            Jesus gave of himself, and gave of himself, but he also took time out to rest, talk to God and listen to the Holy Spirit.  I pray in the midst of our busy lives, we will also both give of ourselves and find time to rest, talk to God, and listen to Holy Spirit.  May our time off with God give us the rejuvenation and restoration we need to be more compassionate Christians.  May it be so. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends Together -- A Message for May 5, 2024

Scripture   John 15:9-17   9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.    10 If you keep my commands, y...