Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Song for the Vineyard -- A Message for August 14, 2022

 

This Sunday, our attention focuses on the Ancient Prophet Isaiah. Isaiah lived in the 8th century BC and prophesized to the people of Israel.  This portion of the book of the prophet was written before the Babylonian exile, in a time when the prophet was trying to call the people to change their ways and become faithful followers of God. Isaiah’s language and prophesies used a lot of metaphorical illustrations. Hear the word of God as it is found in Isaiah, chapter 5, verses 1 through 7:

Scripture Reading                                    Isaiah 5:1-7

I will sing for the one I love a song about his vineyard:
My loved one had a vineyard on a fertile hillside.

He dug it up and cleared it of stones and planted it with the choicest vines.
He built a watchtower in it and cut out a winepress as well.
Then he looked for a crop of good grapes, but it yielded only bad fruit.

“Now you dwellers in Jerusalem and people of Judah, judge between me and my vineyard.


What more could have been done for my vineyard than I have done for it?
When I looked for good grapes, why did it yield only bad?

Now I will tell you what I am going to do to my vineyard: I will take away its hedge, and it will be destroyed;
I will break down its wall, and it will be trample

I will make it a wasteland, neither pruned nor cultivated, and briers and thorns will grow there.
I will command the clouds not to rain on it.”

The vineyard of the Lord Almighty is the nation of Israel,
and the people of Judah are the vines he delighted in.
And he looked for justice, but saw bloodshed; for righteousness, but heard cries of distress.

 

Here ends this reading of the word of God for the People of God. Thanks be to God. Amen.

Prayer for Understanding

Lord, open our hearts and minds by the power of your Holy Spirit, that as the scriptures are read and your Word is proclaimed, we may hear with joy what you say to us today. Amen.

            I am not much of a gardener. In the little flower boxes next to my back door, I am growing many more weeds than flowers. In the spring when the air warms up and everything smells and looks lovely, I usually start out with good intentions….I buy plants, I put them in the soil, I water them, I tend to them….but, then a few days or weeks later, I get busy…or I go out of town…and I forget to water the plants…and I end up with flower pots full of scraggly weeds.

            Today’s scripture is about God planting a vineyard, a figurative vineyard….God’s vineyard was planted in fertile soil and was planted with strong grape vines. God tended it to and did everything right. God remembered to water and pull the weeds, unlike me. Yet, the vineyard only yielded bad fruit…only sour grapes. And, God wasn’t happy.

            This word came down to the people of Israel through the Prophet Isaiah.  God was disappointed because the people of Israel, the Jewish people, were not faithful to God. They stopped worshipping God.  They stopped following God’s commandments. And, they didn’t live according to God’s desires for them – instead of acting with justice to the people and their neighbors, there was bloodshed. Instead of acting with righteousness towards people who were suffering, the people were crying out in distress.

            Our scriptures are full of a give-and-take between God and God’s followers. God gives abundantly, and the people respond welcomingly. But, then, gradually….the people stop noticing how gracious God has been. And, they have trouble appreciating all that God has done. And, things fall apart for the people. Finally, God rescues them and gives abundantly. And, the cycle begins again.

            Even though human beings have lived on this planet for thousands of years, we haven’t evolved to be people who always get things right. We make mistakes. And, we often make the same mistakes over and over again, because we have trouble learning from our mistakes and changing our ways.

            Throughout time immortal, God has responded to our mistakes with love. God keeps giving us second chances, and third changes…and twenty-third chances. The story of our faith is the story of a loving God and God’s wayward, flawed people. We get things wrong, and God loves us anyway. We get things wrong, and God gently encourages us to do better.

            God keeps believing we will yield better fruit, more delicious grapes.

            And, we are working to become better.

            One of the reasons we participate in church is because we are working to become better people. We understand that we are not perfect, that we have room for improvement. We want to do better and be better. We are constantly in the process of recognizing we are flawed, regretting those flaws, and trying to do better. Part of our work is internal – we try to learn from our mistakes and make positive changes in our life. And, part of our work is external – we are here to Worship God, appreciate God, and to thank God for loving us and forgiving us.

            Christians are expected to be life- long learners. We bring our littlest children here to learn about God and God’s gracious, forgiving love. And, as our bodies grow, we are also expected to grow in our faith. We bring our children to Sunday school. This fall, we will have a Confirmation class for our young adults, the first in many years. We have Bible Studies and discussion groups for our adults, so that we can gather to learn about God and how our faith is applied to our lives.  We read the Bible. We pray.

            God graciously love’s God’s people, and God calls on us to do better. This week, we hear message from Isaiah about God’s work to tend to God’s people. Despite our mistakes, and the weeds that grow up in our gardens, God loves us, forgives us, and encourages us to do better.

            Thanks be to God. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends Together -- A Message for May 5, 2024

Scripture   John 15:9-17   9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.    10 If you keep my commands, y...