Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Source of Strength -- A Message for February 4, 2024

 


Scripture                 Mark 1: 29-39

As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. 

Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they immediately told Jesus about her. 

So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.

That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 

The whole town gathered at the door, 

and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 

Simon and his companions went to look for him, 

and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”

Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.” 

So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

Here ends this reading of the word of God for the people of God. Thanks be to God. Amen.

Prayer: 

Message                                          Source of Strength

            When I started seminary, I was 22 years old… Although I was technically an adult, the other adults I was used to being around were also young. When I started attending my seminary classes, most of my classmates seemed very old to me – many of them were in their 40s…..ancient.

 

            Most of my fellow classmates had much more work experience than I had at the time. And, unlike me as a 22 year old, they also had life experience juggling working and parenting and volunteer jobs and caring for older relatives. Some of the things the professors emphasized in their lectures went right over my head…the other students seemed to get their points, but not me. This was particularly true when the professors would talk about the stress that is part of pastoring a congregation and the necessity of self-care. The teachers would talk about how we would need to make our doctor’s appointments and exercise and take vacations and eat healthy and have down time, and I was unimpressed. I didn’t think stress would ever become a problem for me.

 

            And, then, after I graduated from seminary, I was called to be the associate pastor of a UCC church in Berks County. I worked with a lovely senior pastor who had served churches all over Ohio and Indiana and Pennsylvania. He was generous and dedicated and sincere – and he didn’t take any days off. He worked 7-days a week. He had no down time. Sometimes, very occasionally, he took a Saturday off, but that was only if we didn’t have anything happening at the church.

 

            I could tell he was tired. And, his wife made sure I knew she was tired. 

 

            So, I asked their Consistory if I could have a weekly day off work. My question led to a major debate. None of their other pastors had taken a weekly day off work, so why should they allow me to do so? Ministers work for God, and God doesn’t take a day off….so why should the minister. Ugh. The words of my professors danced through my head…I finally understood why they made such a big deal about ministers taking little mental health breaks. 

 

            Fortunately, here at Trinity, I have Monday’s as my protected day off work. In our reading this morning, we read about Jesus’ first very busy days after he began his “public” ministry. Jesus and his friends went to Capernaum and he made his debut at the synagogue on the Sabbath day. He read from the scripture, taught and explained what the scripture meant, and then he healed a man who was filled with an unclean spirit. Afterwards, the word got out that Jesus had the ability to miraculously heal people. So, the people came out of the woodwork, bringing to Jesus everyone in town who needed to be healed. 

 

            Jesus quickly became exhausted. So, he got up early in the morning, snuck away to a solitary place, and rested and prayed. He needed down time….he needed a day of rest.

It is telling that even Jesus needed to take a break. 

 

We all need to take breaks.

 

God established the requirement that we are to take breaks and practice “self-care” right from the beginning. In the first chapter of Genesis, God created the heavens and the earth and the vegetation and the creatures over the course of six days. And, on the seventh day, God rested from all God’s work. “Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.” (Genesis 2:3)

 

When God gave Moses the 10 Commandments, the 4th Commandment says: “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.”

 

From our creation, God established our need to rest and take a break. Taking breaks are built into the foundational rules of our faith. And, Jesus took time away to rest and meditate and pray and have a break. 

           

But, it is often difficult for us to allow ourselves to rest and pause. Even when we are not “at-work,” many of us are reading our work related emails on our phones and tablets.  Sometimes we are taking work calls in the middle of the night or zooming into video calls at inopportune times. And, even if we are not doing “work” work, many of us fill our hours with chores and classes and word puzzles and video games and binge watching tv shows – even when we are not working, we are busy.

 

Just as God has established a weekly day of rest, God also established an annual season of rest. In a week and a half, we will begin that season. The 40 days of Lent that start on Ash Wednesday are designed to be an interruption, a break into “life-as-normal.” Over the 6 weeks of Lent, we are invited to slow down, to say no to adding things to our calendars, to take a pause on all of the busy-ness. 

 

Instead of all of the busyness and work, over the weeks of Lent, we are called to rest and listen for God. We are called to take time off to pray and meditate on the Word of God. We are called to rest and sleep more and spend more time staring out the windows and checking out God’s creation.

 

Sometimes, it is difficult for us to listen when we are told things for our own good. My long ago professors were telling us to take breaks for our own good. And, God has told us over and over again to take breaks – at creation, in the commandments, in the actions of Jesus, and in the establishment of the season of Lent. Let us keep our ears open to the guidance that tells us to rest and let us do what God commands – give ourselves a break.


            May we do so with love in our hearts. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends Together -- A Message for May 5, 2024

Scripture   John 15:9-17   9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.    10 If you keep my commands, y...